Car Insurance

Compare cheap car insurance quotes from 100 brands
You could save over £200*

Gas & Electricity

Compare energy suppliers and save up to £320.76** on your gas and
electricity bill by switching.

Home Insurance

Half of the customers using this comparison tool were quoted less than
£140* for home building & contents insurance. You could be too!

Van Insurance

Half of the customers using this comparison tool are quoted less than
£350* for van insurance. You could be too!


Mortgages made easy. Our independent mortgage advisers* will do all the hard work for you

Bike Insurance

Compare cheap motorbike insurance quotes from 100 brands
You could save over £200*

Life Insurance

Compare cheap life insurance policies and save money today.

Home Improvements

Half of the customers using this comparison tool were quoted less than
£140* for home building & contents insurance. You could be too!

Car Insurance

Compare cheap car insurance quotes from 100 brands
You could save over £200*

cheap car insurance quote

Enter your registration number and get a cheap car
insurance quote in under 3 minutes

Comparison Service

Your Free Independent Price Comparison Service

Compare The Market and Compare Quotes and Prices in One Place in under 3 Minutes*

Compare Cheap Car Insurance Quotes Today & Save Money
Here at My Money Comparison if there is one thing we’re good at, it’s saving you our Customers time and money.

My Money Comparison as teamed up with Seopa to compare the market for cheap prices with the help of their partnering insurance providers. Seopa compare market leading providers from Insurance helping you compare, save and reduce the time it takes for you to find the right provider at the right price, tailored just for you!

Compare & Save

My Money Comparison is an independent Price Comparison Service. This means we can compare the market for the most competitive and cheap prices with the help of our independent partners. With our partners, we compare many of the market leading providers from Insurance, Money, Energy, Broadband, Mobile Deals to Holidays, Flights and many more helping you compare.

Simply choose the Product or service you are looking for from our menu, enter your details and leave the hard work to us!

You can compare cheap car insurance along with other insurance products including, van insurance, home insurance, life insurance, pet insurance, travel insurance, motorbike insurance and Taxi insurance and breakdown cover insurance, you can choose from over 60 specialist insurance products  to compare and get a quote in minutes.


Happy Customers



What is broadband?

Broadband is designed to give you fast access to the internet. Packages are much faster than old dial up connections. This means you can download large files (such as video and music files).

What speed is broadband?

A basic 512K broadband internet connection is about ten times faster than a 56K dial-up connection. This enables you to open web pages quickly, whereas with an 8Mb connection you could watch TV quality video over the web, with virgin media 200mb is available depending on your area where you live.

Can I get broadband where I live?

The provider you’re with and where you live are the two main factors determining broadband availability. Urban areas are more likely to have coverage than rural locations.

Where should I get broadband?

Broadband enables you to surf the internet and send and receive information swiftly. With a broadband connection you can surf the internet without tying up your phone line. Broadband also allows you to view videos online and send/download photos, images, movies and sound files.

How do I get broadband?

You can use a comparison service to find a broadband package which is right for you. From there, the Internet Service Provider (ISP) will guide you towards signing up to a contract.

Can my provider raise charges within my contract?

Yes, but Ofcom* warns that when notifying customers of tariff increases, ISPs must make the terms and conditions ‘generally transparent and fair’.

* Ofcom is the UK communications regulator. For more information, advice and how to complain, visit the Consumer Section of the Ofcom website or call 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm. For Textphone: 020 7981 3043.

What kind of tariffs are there?

There are many broadband tariffs – most of which are available on a monthly subscription fee, over a certain number of months with variable download limits. Tariffs may be bundled in with extras such as phone calls and TV.

How do I switch my tariff?

If you decide to switch tariffs, Ofcom* advises the best way is to phone or write to your broadband provider. You must operate within the terms of your existing provider contract.

* Ofcom is the UK communications regulator. For more information, advice and how to complain, visit the Consumer Section of the Ofcom website or call 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm. For Textphone: 020 7981 3043.

How do I switch providers?

Ofcom* advises that you should phone or write a letter to your ISP if you want to change to a different provider. You must operate within the terms of your existing broadband contract,if you are not in a contract you can enter your postcode with our comparison page and find the best deal in your area.

* Ofcom is the UK communications regulator. For more information, advice and how to complain, visit the Consumer Section of the Ofcom website or call 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm. For Textphone: 020 7981 3043.

What should I do if I find difficulty paying my bills?

Sometimes your personal finances can change unexpectedly. If you’re having difficulty paying your bill, Ofcom advises that you should discuss this with your ISP.

* Ofcom is the UK communications regulator. For more information, advice and how to complain, visit the Consumer Section of the Ofcom website or call 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm. For Text phone: 020 7981 3043.

What if I disagree with my bill?

Ofcom* recommends that you should send your ISP a copy of your bill, highlighting the relevant charges and the reasons why they are being disputed. If this fails to resolve your dispute, you should follow its formal complaints procedure. If your dispute is still unresolved, you can raise the matter with the relevant Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

* Ofcom is the UK communications regulator. For more information, advice and how to complain, visit the Consumer Section of the Ofcom website or call 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm. For Text phone: 020 7981 3043.

How do Mymoneycomparison.com get insurance quotes for you?

We have teamed up with Seopa who will ask you all about the information about you, your car and your drivers, and then we automatically search our car insurance providers to find the right deals. We then present all the quotes back to you, so you can compare car insurance quotes like-for-like and choose the policy that is right for you.

What do I need to get started?

You need to gather together some basic information before you are ready to get a quote. We require details of each driver you want to insure. This will include some personal information, including details of any claims or convictions. We will also require the car registration number or make and model, and details of any modifications to the car. Please rest assured that all the information you provide is totally secure.

Do you search all other financial and insurance products?

Mymoneycomparison.com also provides a service to search and compare Home Insurance, Van Insurance, Motorbike Insurance, Travel Insurance and Life Insurance and many specialist insurances. Our partner Seopa can also introduce you to providers for Pet, Health, Business and Breakdown Insurance. In addition, for Money products we provide a comparison service for Mortgages as well as Telecoms and Gas and Electricity.

How can I keep my car insurance cost down?

It’s important that you get the right deal for you, which may not necessarily be the cheapest on the list. To help you decide which is the right quote for you use our compare button. This allows you to compare lots of key policy features for up to 4 of the insurance providers on your list. In addition, there are a number of things you can think about to keep the cost of car insurance down:

  • Downsizing your car to a lower-grouped one, or one with lower engine power.
  • Fitting an alarm, tracking device or immobiliser.
  • Parking your car in a secure place overnight – preferably a locked garage.
  • Only adding additional drivers who regularly use the car. You can always add on occasional drivers at a later date.
  • Increasing your voluntary excess (the part of the claim that you pay voluntarily). This will be added to any compulsory excess that applies to your policy.
How can I tell if a car is an import?

Check the specification. A UK specification means that the car has been made specifically to UK specifications. A non-UK specification can be difficult to insure because parts for it may not be available in the UK. if your car is an imported car, then you will need to see our import car insurance page to get the right quote.

What are the differences between cover types?
  • Third Party Only covers a claim by third parties (not a claim by the insured).
  • Third Party Fire and Theft covers fire damage and theft of your car and claims by third parties.
  • Comprehensive insurance covers accidental damage to your car, fire damage and theft, and claims by third parties.
What are the different categories for use of a car?
  • Social, Domestic and Pleasure covers you for normal day-to-day driving, like shopping, family trips, holidays (but check whether it includes overseas holidays)
  • Commuting covers you for driving to and from a permanent place of work, or to and from a place that you park your car on the way to work.
  • Business Use allows you to use the car for your job, such as driving to meetings, between different work places, to conferences or training courses.
  • Commercial Travelling gives you cover if your job involves daily travel to clients and prospects to make sales, look after clients, etc – most usually relevant to sales people.
I have a question about a car insurance policy I bought or got a quote for via Mymoneycomparison. Who should I contact?

Please contact the car insurance provider direct, as they will be able to help you with your question. Visit their website to find the right telephone number or email address.

How can the bike insurance comparison service help me?

Mymoneycomparison.com as teamed up with Seopa who introduces customers to motorbike insurance providers which searches for motorbike insurance deals across many leading providers. Customers are then able to browse the search results by price and features to find a deal which is suitable for them.

Who is Mymoneycomparison.com?

Mymoneycomparison and partners Seopa provides a motorbike insurance comparison website which searches and compares deals from brokers that specialise in cover for bikes, amongst other products.

Should previous bike or car insurance claims be revealed when getting a quote?

Yes, riders must disclose all information relating to any claim in any motor vehicle or the policy might be declared void in the event that a claim needs to be made on the insurance.

Can a No Claims Discount or Bonus be earned with the bike insurance, and can it be transferred from a car policy?

Yes, a No Claims Bonus or Discount can be earned on a motorbike insurance policy – and riders can check with the individual insurer to see if they can be transferred from a car policy.

Can the bike insurance comparison service search for cover for convicted riders?

Yes, some of the brokers searched via the comparison system can provide cover for riders with convictions.

Can riders ride another bike on their insurance?

Motorcycle Riders can check with the broker they are buying the policy from as every one differs in terms of the level of cover offered.

Can a fitted alarm save money on motorbike insurance?

Certain insurance companies can discount motorbike insurance if a bike is fitted with an alarm or other security device, according to Thatcham, the Motor Insurance Repair Research Centre.

Can motorbike insurance policies be paid for monthly?

Some brokers may display installment options on the results pages, however some do not. Those wishing to use a broker that does not display installment options can click through to their site to see if this is possible.

What kind of tariffs are there for Gas and Electricity?

There are several different types of tariff:

  • Price Freeze Tariffs
    These are tariffs that come with a price guarantee, usually of a year or more, depending on the offer. PriceFreeze tariffs (also called “Capped” tariffs) usually come with limited availability, and are withdrawn from sign up once an energy supplier has hit a certain quote (so don’t miss your chance if you see a good offer!).

    Price Freeze tariffs make sense during times when energy prices are climbing, and for customers who prefer predictable prices over cheaper (but often more volatile) discount tariff offers.

  • Environmental/Green Tariffs
    These tariffs let you do your bit for the environment.
  • Internet Only Tariffs
    These tariffs are available only over the Internet. You will typically be able to handle your whole account with the supplier online.
  • No Standing Charges
    Most energy bills have two components: a standing charge which you pay irrespective of the amount of energy you use, and price for each unit of kilowatt hour (kWh) of energy that you consume. With No Standing Charge tariffs, you only pay for the energy that you use. Many suppliers now offer both options.

    • No Standing Charge tariffs usually have split unit rates where the price of each unit of energy consumed varies with your annual usage. In these cases, the Standing Charge is usually recovered through the higher priced units you consume first.
    • To check whether No Standing Charge tariffs are your best option, please feel free to search and compare these tariffs with other products listed in our database.

The prices shown on our service always include all costs.

Reward Schemes
Many suppliers are now offering an attractive range of additional benefits above and beyond just savings on your energy bills. If you are a collector of reward points, such as AIRMILES, holiday rewards or retail rewards, then this option is for you.

Why are there so many Payment Options?

There are 2 main reasons.

  1. Firstly, suppliers are required by their licence conditions to offer a range of payment methods to consumers. It is a regulatory condition of their right to supply.
  2. Secondly, certain suppliers are beginning to offer an increasing range of payment options as a way of differentiating themselves through providing greater flexibility to consumers.

Because different payment methods have different cost implications for suppliers, they will normally charge different rates depending upon how you pay.

What is a Direct Debit?

Direct Debit payments are made automatically from your bank account to your supplier on a pre-arranged date either each month or each quarter. You must have either a bank or building society account to operate a direct debit payment scheme. You will also need to complete a direct debit mandate, which your new supplier will forward onto your bank.

Direct Debit payments are protected by the Direct Debit Scheme, which means that:

  • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your bank or Building Society;
  • The supplier must give you prior written notice, usually 14 days, if they want to change the date or the amount of the payment;
  • If your money is ever collected incorrectly, your bank or building society will give you a full and immediate refund, even if the supplier made the error.
What kinds of Direct Debits are there?

There are a number of forms of direct debit:

  • Monthly Direct Debit
    The direct debit amount will normally be calculated on the basis of your actual or projected annual energy bill and divided into 12 equal monthly instalments. This amount is normally reviewed once a year and your monthly payments are adjusted accordingly. Some suppliers offer incentives for customers who make use of a monthly direct debit.
  • Variable Direct Debit
    Variable Direct Debit is different to Monthly Direct Debit in that your actual energy bill is deducted from your bank account at the end of a fixed calendar period in which you use the gas or electricity. This calendar period varies depending on the tariff you signed up for, and can be a quarter, a half year or a year. A typical Variable Direct Debit is taken on a quarterly basis.
What other payment options are there?

There are several other payment options, we have listed them below:

  • Cash/Cheque
    Also known as Standard Credit, this is where you receive your estimated or actual quarterly bill by post and pay it in the normal way, either by cheque through the post or by cash through your post office. This payment method also includes the option of paying by postal order.
  • Credit/Charge Card
    There are two main ways to pay for your energy with your credit or charge card.

    • Calling your supplier or visiting their website, following receipt of your bill and charging it to your card:
    • Or, having the bill automatically paid with your card under a Continuous Authorised Transaction (CAT).

    With CAT schemes, your actual or projected annual energy bill is divided into periodically equal instalments (monthly or quarterly) and automatically billed to your card. The details of which schemes and cards apply to different tariffs are summarised on the tariff results pages.

  • Charge Card
    Charge card payments are administered in the same way as credit card payment schemes. The main difference is that you must clear your charge card account by the due-date; therefore your interest free period is shorter. However, if you pay your energy bill using your charge card, you will benefit from any loyalty schemes offered by the charge card company.
  • Online Banking
    This option allows you to pay your bills either by calling you bank, or online.
  • Prepayment Meter
    Prepayment schemes are ones where you pay up-front for the energy that you use by inserting coins, keys or cards into your meter.
What should I do if I have difficulty paying my bills?

Under the terms of their supply license, suppliers must offer you help and advice if you have difficulties paying your bills. You should contact your supplier as soon as possible to discuss available options if you think that you may get into difficulties paying your bill.

How can my supplier help me?

Your supplier should discuss with you the best way to pay your bill. They should be able to provide you with the following services:

  • Arranging a payment plan to clear the debt in instalments;
  • Installing a pre-payment meter, if it is safe and practical to do so. Each time the meter is credited, a portion of the credit is used to pay off the debt;
  • Accepting deductions from your social security benefits;
  • Providing information about how you might be able to reduce your bills by using electricity more efficiently.
What happens if I can’t pay my bill? Could I be disconnected?

If you are in debt to a supplier, and you refuse to accept any arrangements your supplier puts forward to try and clear your debt, your household may be disconnected until such time as you make arrangements to clear your debt.

Energy suppliers have a commitment to avoid disconnecting customers who are elderly, disabled or chronically ill, during the winter months.

Is there anything else that I can do?

If you have difficulty paying your bills, and are unhappy with the way your supplier has handled your problems, you should contact the consumer watchdog Consumer Focus for assistance. Visit the Consumer Focus website.

How is the final bill calculated?

The meter reading taken at the time you change supplier will be used to calculate the final bill from your previous supplier. The final bill will be adjusted to account for any under or over payments due from previous estimated bills. The final bill will show the payments you have made, how much energy you have used and any balance outstanding.

What if I disagree with the final bill from my previous supplier?

If you feel you have been overcharged, you should contact your previous supplier and give them the meter reading from the day you changed supplier. It is up to your old supplier to resolve the issue with you. If you are unhappy with the response you get you should contact Consumer Focus; who are in a position to investigate the matter further. The Consumer Focus website address is www.citizensadvice.org.uk

By when do I have to pay my final bill?

You should pay your final bill within 28 days. If you have difficulty paying it, your old supplier may agree that you can pay the bill in installments. Alternatively, your new supplier may agree to let you transfer the balance onto your next new bill. Be aware that you may incur additional charges for late payment.

Why do you need to know my Postcode?

As energy prices vary by area, we need to know the postcode where you want your new energy supply. This is to determine the best energy offer available to you.

Why do you need my current supplier’s name?

This information will help us identify the tariff that you are currently on. As prices vary by supplier, we need to do this so that we can calculate the savings that you can make by moving to a new supplier or tariff.

Why do you need my current payment method?

This information will help us identify the tariff that you are currently on. As prices vary depending upon how you pay your bill, we need to do this so that we can calculate the savings that you can make by moving to a new supplier or tariff.

Why do you need to know my annual bill?

To match you to the tariff best suited to your needs we need to know how much energy you consume. You can either provide this information directly or provide us with your annual bill. From the combined details of your annual bill, current supplier and current payment method, we can calculate your annual consumption.

Why do you need to know the amount of energy that I use?

To match you to the tariff best suited to your needs we need to know how much energy you consume. You can either provide this information directly or provide us with an estimate of your annual bill from which we will calculate your annual consumption.

What should I do about my suppliers before I move?

You need to give your supplier at least two days notice before you move. Your supplier will then arrange for a meter reading to be taken or, more likely, ask you to give them the meter reading. This will be used to calculate your final bill. If you do not tell your supplier that you are moving, you may be liable for the bill at your old address until the earlier of:

  • 2 days after you notify your supplier that you have moved, or;
  • The date that the meter at your old address is next read, or;
  • The date the new occupiers enter into an agreement with a supplier for the supply of the old premises.
Do I incur any charges if I am moving house?

No. You need to give your existing supplier at least two days notice of your move. Other than that, you will not incur any penalties for early contract termination in these circumstances.

How can this service help me when I am moving home?

If you are planning to move, visit this service. We can then help you find and sign up for a new supplier at your new home.

When did competition in the gas and electricity markets begin?

Competition was introduced into the domestic energy markets in Great Britain in phases from April 1996 through to May 1999, initially for gas and then for electricity. All households in Great Britain are now free to choose their suppliers of electricity and gas.


Why should I consider changing supplier?

You could save yourself a considerable amount of money. In addition to the savings, most suppliers now offer a range of additional features with their product offerings which can not only make it more convenient for you to pay your bill (e.g. by monthly Direct Debit or online), but also allow you to earn loyalty points. In addition to each supplier’s tariff, we have a catalogue of all the available payment options and product features. This allows you to pick the product you want easily and quickly.


How much can I save by switching suppliers?

The amount you save depends on a number of factors:

  • The amount of competition in your area;
  • How aggressive the pricing policy of your existing supplier is;
  • How much energy you use;
  • How you pay your bill.

Our own research shows that the average savings quoted to all our users is around £230 per year. The top 10% of energy consumers with very high current bills receive annual savings quotes of £500 or more. To find out exactly how much you can save, please feel free to use our service.


Will there be any interruption to my gas or electricity supply?

This would be very unlikely. Your new supplier will use exactly the same wires, pipes and meters that you currently use. Your new supplier will also contact your existing supplier to arrange for the transfer of your supply. The only thing that you will notice is that your bill will come from your new supplier.


What about customer service?

If you want to apply to a new supplier we recommend that you check the description of the new supplier that we have compiled for you. You can do this by following the links from the tariff results pages. These descriptions will contain information on the range of services offered by the new supplier. You can also obtain information on a suppliers level of customer service, such as call centre availability, by calling the supplier direct.

Consumer Focus, the consumer watchdog, also publishes statistics on the number of complaints received by suppliers. Please note, however, that complaints and customer service are not necessarily the same thing.


What should I take into consideration when choosing a supplier?

There are multiple factors that you should consider in working out which product and supplier is right for you. These include prices, payment options, contract terms, and any other benefits and services on offer. Fortunately, this service has pulled together all this information in one easy to use website, in order to make this easier for you.


Do I need to contact my existing supplier if I want to switch supplier?

Your new supplier will arrange the transfer for you. You do not need to contact your previous supplier. Once you have signed up for a new supply contract, your new supplier will let your previous supplier know on what date the change is taking place. You should ensure that you pay your final bill promptly. If you pay by direct debit or standing order, please make sure you cancel these arrangements once the final bill has been paid.


Who reads my meter when I change supplier?

Your meter reading needs to be taken when you change supplier. Your new supplier will either arrange for your meter reading to be taken, or they may ask you to take the reading yourself. Details of the final reading will be sent from your new supplier to your old one, so that your previous supplier can send you a final bill.

Please keep a note of your meter reading on the date that you transfer supplier. You will need this information if you do not agree with your final bill.


What happens if I am in debt to my previous supplier before switching to my new supplier?

If you do not pay your final bill promptly, the new supplier may be asked to add the outstanding amount to your next bill. You may also incur additional charges for late payment.


Can my current supplier prevent me from switching to a new supplier?

As long as you are not in debt with your existing supplier, they cannot prevent you from switching.


Will I need a contract?

If you are changing supplier you will have to enter into a contract with the new supplier. The contract will specify the price you will pay and the terms and conditions of supply.


Can I cancel a contract once I have applied for it?

After signing up to a new supplier through this service, you are allowed a ‘cooling off’ period of between 7 to 14 days. During this period, you can cancel the contract without penalty, provided the services you are purchasing are in excess of £35. After the ‘cooling off’ period has lapsed, you will have to give the supplier notice of your intention to end the contract. The notice that you need to give will depend upon the type of contract you took. Most contracts require 28 days notice prior to termination.


How many different types of contract are there?

There are two basic types of contract; rolling contracts or fixed term contracts.


What is a rolling contract?

A rolling contract (sometimes also called an evergreen contract) is one that carries on until you cancel it. During the period of the contract, the price of electricity can go up or down in accordance with the terms of the contract. You can end this type of contract at any time on 28 days notice if you are moving to another supplier, or 2 days notice if you are moving house. There is rarely any cancellation fee. Rolling contracts may contain periods during which the supplier guarantees not to increase prices. If you cancel during one of these periods you may be liable for a cancellation fee.


What is a fixed term contract?

A fixed term contract usually applies to businesses or other very large users of energy. This contract is fixed for a given period, perhaps one or two years. If you terminate a fixed term contract early, you may be liable for a fee. There are two main exceptions where fixed term contracts can be cancelled without penalty, first when you are moving house, and second, when your supplier increases its price.


What happens if my new supplier increases its prices or changes contract terms?

The supplier must provide at least 10 days notice in writing to announce significant changes in the terms of contract. You will then have a further 14 days to decide and let your existing supplier know whether you intend to end your contract and switch to another supplier. If you do decide to move within this time frame, you will continue to be billed for the energy you use at the old contract terms until such time as you transfer to your new supplier. You will not be liable for any cancellation fees.

If you are unhappy with any price increase, please come back to us to see if we can get you a better deal.


Who is responsible for safety and supply interruptions?

Your supplier must provide you with a 24-hour emergency number which you should call if you think there is a safety problem with your meter, the electricity cables, gas lines or other equipment running into your home. You should also call this number if you experience any energy cuts at your home.

Your supply company is not actually responsible for the wires, cables and pipes that supply energy into your home; this is the responsibility of the local distribution company. If you have a power cut which is not restored within 24 hours, then you are entitled to claim compensation.


What should I do if there is a gas leak?

The company responsible for all gas emergencies is National Grid. Their national Freephone number for emergencies is 0800 111 999.

Who regulates the suppliers?

The Office of Gas and Electricity Markets – Ofgem – is the independent regulator of the two energy markets. New suppliers need to be authorised by Ofgem before they can supply you with gas and/or electricity. Ofgem will ensure that suppliers are able to supply sufficient energy to meet the demands of their customers.

What is Consumer Focus?

Consumer Focus acts as the consumer advocate in domestic energy matters. The organisation has taken over responsibility from Ofgem for providing bi-monthly fact sheets providing tariff data and bill analyses for all licensed gas and electricity suppliers. For more information visit the Consumer Focus website.

What services are available for elderly, disabled and chronically sick customers?

All energy suppliers are required, under the terms of their licenses, to produce and comply with a Code of Practice that sets out services for elderly, disabled and chronically ill customers. Suppliers must provide additional help to such disadvantaged customers on request. Ofgem is responsible for monitoring adherence to this code.

Who qualifies for additional help?

You can get special help if you are a domestic customer and either a pensioner, disabled or chronically ill. There are also special services for the blind and deaf. If you qualify for special assistance, we recommend you inform your supplier of your status.

What information do the suppliers need?

Energy suppliers are required to keep a record of customers who are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically ill. If you qualify, it is in your interest to notify your supplier of your status. This information will allow your supplier to identify your special needs and give you special advice and assistance. For electricity, the supplier may, with your consent, pass this information onto the distribution company that maintains the cables, wires and pipes that supply energy to your home. This will enable the distribution company to notify you well in advance of a supply interruption.

What sort of additional help is available?

If you qualify, you may be able to obtain special arrangements with respect to the use and positioning of your meter, additional security measures associated with identifying anyone working for the supplier who enters your home, and with respect to where your bills are sent. Suppliers are also required not to disconnect vulnerable customers, with outstanding bills, during the winter months.

How can I use energy more efficiently?

Supply companies are obliged to provide advice on the efficient use of energy in the home to anyone requesting it. This advice typically covers home insulation, the efficient use of energy, and information regarding the use of electrical appliances. Your supplier also has to provide you with information about getting financial help to make your home more energy efficient.

Where else can I find information on energy efficiency?

A good source of information is the Energy Savings Trust website. The Energy Savings Trust (EST) is an independent, government-funded organisation aimed at raising awareness of the benefits of using energy efficient products and services that could help you save energy, help the environment and also save money.
You can check them out at est.org.uk. The EST also offers a useful online tool that can help you find grants and other financial help to make your home more energy efficient.

What is Economy 7 electricity?

Economy 7 allows you to benefit from 7 hours of cheaper energy during night hours. Economy 7 requires a special Multi-Rate meter to be installed at your home.

What kind of electricity meter do I have?

There are 3 main types of electricity meter. A single rate meter (which is the most common); a multi-rate meter, which allows you to take advantage of cheap-rate electricity at night (Economy 7), and a pre-payment meter, where you pay for the electricity in advance of using it.

Will my meter change if I switch electricity supplier?

No. You don’t have to touch your meter at all when changing electricity supplier although you may be asked to read it. If you wish, you can decide that you would like to have a different type of meter, such as moving from a single rate meter to either multi-rate or prepayment. Contact your supplier if you want to change your meter.

Who reads the meter when I change supplier?

That depends on your new supplier. The supplier may either arrange for someone to come and read your meter, or may ask you to read your meter yourself. Either way, it is useful for you to make – and keep a note of – the reading to ensure that you agree with the final bill from your old supplier when it arrives.

What if my meter is not measuring my consumption accurately?

If you think there is a problem with your meter, rather than your bill (which may be based on an estimate) you should contact your supplier. The supplier will be able to perform a simple test to ensure that the meter is working properly. If you are still worried about the meter’s accuracy, you can ask your supplier to have the meter examined by Ofgem’s Meter Examining Service, which is a free test. If you have been overcharged, your supplier will have to repay you the amount overpaid. Be aware though, that an examination may find that you have been undercharged, in which case the supplier has the right to charge for the extra energy that you have used.

What do I do if I want to move my meter?

You need to contact your supplier. Unless you are registered as a vulnerable customer, you may be charged for this service. If you qualify as a vulnerable customer, the service will be free of charge.

What is a supply number?

A supply number, also referred to as “S” number, is a unique reference which identifies the electricity meter at your property. The Supply number contains information (i.e. meter type) required by your new supplier.

Where can I find my supply number?

The supply number appears on your bill. In almost all cases each household will have only one supply number per meter.

What does a supply number look like?

The standard format for an electricity supply number is:



The top line of the supply number contains information about whether you are a domestic or business consumer, and which tariff you are on. It will therefore change as you change your supply details.

The bottom line of the supply number contains information about the local electricity distribution company responsible for maintaining the cables and wires carrying electricity into your home, plus a unique reference number to identify the meter in your property. The bottom line of information will not change when you switch supplier.

What is a dual fuel offer?

A Dual Fuel offer is one where a single company supplies you with both gas and electricity.

Who can I buy dual fuel packages from?

Any supplier with both a gas supply, and an electricity supply licence can offer dual fuel packages. Click the dual fuel button on this service’s home page to find the supplier and deal best suited for you.

What are the benefits of signing up to a dual fuel contract?

There are two main benefits; price and convenience.

  • Companies offering dual fuel packages will sometimes offer you an additional discount if you buy both gas and electricity from them. This can vary from being a fixed reduction in the overall bill to a special rate for one or other of the fuels you take.
  • The benefit of convenience associated with dual fuel is that you only need to deal with one company should there be a bill query, complaint or when moving home. Certain suppliers will also offer the convenience of a single bill.
What if I don’t use gas at my home?

In that case, do not worry about applying for a dual fuel contract. Check out this service’s range of electricity offers instead.

Can I switch from a dual fuel contract to separate contracts from different suppliers?

Yes, provided that you give your dual fuel supplier the required amount of notice (usually 28 days). You should also bear in mind that you may lose existing discounts if you change your supply arrangements with your current supplier. Other terms and conditions of supply may also change.

How will I receive my gas and electricity bills?

That very much depends on the supplier. Most will still bill you separately for each fuel, but some will provide a single bill or statement for both fuels. Where suppliers offer a single bill, this information is shown on the relevant tariff page.

Can I opt for different payment methods for the different fuels in a dual fuel contract?

Typically you cannot, as the price that is quoted to you depends on the payment method you have chosen.

Is dual fuel the cheapest option?

Dual fuel deals are not necessarily the best deals on the market if you are only interested in the lowest price. Use this service to compare the results from dual fuel searches with those for individual fuels to see what suits your circumstances best.

What if I have difficulty paying my dual fuel bills?

The rules governing the supply of each fuel require the supplier to offer help to customers who run into difficulty paying their bills. This can range from offering different payment schedules through to installing a prepayment meter. Furthermore, if you are in debt to your supplier, you may be prevented from switching to another supplier on either fuel.

What are the differences between cover types?

There are three main types of policies – buildings insurance, home contents insurance and combined buildings and home contents insurance. Buildings insurance covers the structure of your property and its permanent fixtures and fittings like toilets, basins and baths, fitted kitchens and interior decorations. Buildings insurance will usually include outbuildings like sheds, garages and greenhouses. Home contents insurance covers the belongings you have in and about your home – usually those possessions you would be likely to take with you if you moved home. These can include furniture, kitchenware, clothing, audio visual equipment and many other valuables and personal effects. A combined policy covers both buildings and home contents, and insurers will often offer a discount if you buy both policies together. You will only need to enter your details in once on our comparison quote form to get a quote for combined buildings and home contents cover.

How does Mymoneycomparison get insurance quotes for you?

We ask you to tell us all the information about you, your property and or contents, and then we automatically search our home insurance providers to find the right deals. We then present all the quotes back to you, so you can compare home insurance quotes on a like-for-like basis and choose the policy that is right for you.

How can Mymoneycomparison be fair?

We get quotes from Seopa our partner, but they’re treated exactly the same as all the other home insurance companies and don’t get any preference. This independent approach means you can be sure that Mymoneycomparison will find the right deal for you.

What do I needs before I start?

To supply you with a range of accurate quotes we’ll be asking you for quite a lot of information about your home. You will need to know the following things:

  1. The year your home was built.
  2. If your home is a listed building.
  3. The type of door locks fitted.
  4. Details of any claims in the last five years.
  5. Details of any ‘personal possessions’.
I have a question about a home insurance policy i bought or got from Mymoneycomparison’s website, who should I contact?

Contact the home insurance provider direct, as they will be able to help you with your question. Visit their website to find the right telephone number or email address.