Campervan Insurance

Campervan Insurance is important whether it’s your weekend getaway, you’re a VW enthusiast or it’s your home on wheels, owning a campervan is a big investment and is many people’s pride and joy which they want to last as long as possible, and with the right campervan insurance policy this can be easily achieved.

Not only is having insurance a legal requirement, but it is also important to invest in a comprehensive campervan insurance policy so that no matter where you travel you will always be safe in the knowledge that you and your vehicle are protected. The right campervan insurance policy will not only protect your vehicle but also if you experience mechanical difficulties or damage your upholstery and contents.

Because most campervans are unique, when searching for campervan insurance cover, owners must be aware that some insurers will provide quotes for all motorhome body styles while others will be more selective over the type of vehicle they’re willing to insure. Generally speaking, most insurance companies will only insure professionally built campervans or motor homes rather than DIY conversions or self-builds.

As with car insurance policies, brokers will want to know where the vehicle is stored and its security arrangements, if it’s a permanent residence, whether it’s professionally serviced, and if the campervan has been modified or had any accessories fitted. Moreover, campervan insurance cover is available at various different levels, from the most basic level of cover which is third party fire and theft, third party or the most protected level of cover which is a fully comprehensive policy.


Insurance companies won’t pay out for certain risks or some types of loss or damage. These are called exclusions and will be clearly set out in the terms of the policy. Although exclusions will vary between insurers and policies listed below are some of the most common exclusions brokers will stick to:

  • If you make a claim arising from your camper van and it is being used as a permanent residence or for any trade, business or profession
  • If your vehicle is on the older side and general wear and tear or deterioration has occurred and has lead to insect or vermin damage
  • If you experience a mechanical or electrical breakdown
  • If there is a theft of your contents, with the exception of if there are signs of forced entry or exit from your camper van

If you are looking for a good deal on your policy, it can be beneficial being a member of a caravan club or passing driving courses as this can impact on the price of premiums offered. You can also select your preferred level of voluntary excess, and previous policies / no claims bonus are also taken into account which you will often find can reduce your premium, but of course make sure if you set yourself a high voluntary excess that you are able to pay this should you need to make a claim.

By using you can with the help of our partners compare policies from the UK’s leading providers. You will be able to compare, price, excess level, and whether services such as loss of use cover, legal assistance, European cover and UK or European breakdown are included.