Taxi Insurance Comparison
Our panel of brokers can provide you with several competitive quotes for your taxi insurance requirements and will give you a good number of comparable quotes for you to compare,
Get a Taxi Insurance Quote
✔ Completely free ✔ Takes less than 3 minutes
Liverpool Taxi Insurance
New Taxi Driver Insurance
Compare Taxi Insurance Comparison Quotes?
As a taxi driver, if your vehicle is off the road following an accident then this costs you money. The longer you’re not working, the longer you’re not earning. As such it is vital that you have the right cover in place to protect you and your vehicle, to ensure you’re back up and running as quickly as possible.
Whether you’re a private hire driver or public hire driver, drive a black cab or a minibus, it doesn’t matter, you still need taxi insurance. You can cover the vehicle, the driver, any passengers and members of the public and their property too – just in case you run into some trouble!
MyMoneyComparison.com work with some of the biggest Taxi Insurance companies in the country. We understand the importance your Taxi means to you and that is why we vet all our broker partners prior to being accepted on our panel. That is why we are confident our partners could beat your current Private or Public hire taxi insurance cover quotes.
Taxi insurance comparison drivers covered:
Experienced Drivers / Taxi Badge Holders
Young / Under 25 Taxi Drivers
Drivers Aged 22+
Driver with Convictions / Clean Licence
No Claims Bonus / Claims History
All Taxi Licensing Authorities
New Taxi Badge Holders
What is covered when I purchase Taxi Insurance?
Our broker panel will discuss in detail with you what is covered in your policy. This can include the following:
- Windscreen and Glass Cover
- Car Hire Cover
- Public Liability Insurance
- Adaptive Payments / Monthly Payments
- Quick and Easy Claims Procedure
- 24/7 Customer Service
- Breakdown cover, including separate onward travel to get your passengers to their destination
- Courtesy-plated taxi in the case of an accident
- Advice/assistance with the recovery of your vehicle from an accident scene
- Repair to your vehicle in the case of an accident
- 24-hour claims assistance
- Home start recovery if your vehicle won’t start
- Personal use cover if you use your vehicle outside of work
- Cover for loss or damage to keys, including locksmith charges, replacement locks and keys, car hire and onward transport
Do you own a taxi fleet or taxi company? Then why not get a taxi fleet insurance quote: Taxi Fleet Insurance Quote
Taxi Insurance Comparison Quotes Covers:
Multi-purpose Vehicles (MPVs)
Taxi Insurance FAQs
What is taxi insurance?
Taxi insurance in the UK is a specialised type of insurance coverage designed to protect taxi drivers, their vehicles, and their passengers. Given the high mileage and long hours that taxi drivers often work and the extra responsibility of carrying passengers, standard car insurance isn’t usually sufficient.
Taxi insurance typically comes in three types, much like regular car insurance:
- Third Party Only: This is the minimum level of insurance required by law in the UK. It covers injury to other people or damage to their property in the event of an accident.
- Third Party, Fire and Theft: In addition to the third-party cover, this insurance also covers your vehicle in the event of fire damage or theft.
- Comprehensive: This covers all of the above plus accidental damage to your own vehicle, even if the accident was your fault.
Given the specific risks associated with taxi driving, there are also additional elements of coverage that taxi drivers may need or want, such as:
- Public Liability Insurance: This covers the driver’s legal liability in the event that a passenger or other member of the public is injured or their property is damaged.
- Personal Accident Insurance: This covers the driver in the event that they’re injured while working.
- Breakdown Cover: This covers the costs of roadside assistance and recovery in the event of a vehicle breakdown.
- Legal Expenses Cover: This covers the legal costs that can be incurred in the event of a dispute or claim.
There’s also a distinction between insurance for private hire vehicles (such as minicabs, which can only be pre-booked) and public hire vehicles (such as black cabs, which can be hailed on the street). Insurance for public hire vehicles can be more expensive, given the potentially higher risks involved.
The cost of taxi insurance can depend on various factors, such as the driver’s age and driving history, the type and value of the vehicle, the area in which the taxi operates, and the level of coverage chosen.
What are the different types of taxi insurance in the UK?
In the UK, several types of insurance are specifically designed for taxis. The specific coverage options and terminology may vary between insurance providers, but here are some common types of taxi insurance:
- Public Hire Insurance: This type of insurance is for taxis that can be hailed or pre-booked without any prior arrangement. Public hire taxis usually have “taxi” signage on the vehicle’s exterior and can pick up passengers from public locations such as taxi ranks or by street hail.
- Private Hire Insurance: Private hire insurance is for taxis that must be pre-booked in advance and cannot pick up passengers from the street. These taxis, also known as minicabs, cannot display “taxi” signage. Private hire insurance typically covers vehicles used for transportation services like airport transfers or pre-arranged journeys.
- Black Cab Insurance: Black cab insurance, or Hackney Carriage insurance, is specifically for licensed London-style black taxis. These iconic taxis have specific design requirements and can be hailed on the street or picked up from designated taxi ranks. Black cab insurance usually covers these vehicles’ unique features and requirements.
- Fleet Insurance: Fleet insurance is for taxi companies that operate multiple vehicles. It provides coverage for a whole fleet of taxis under a single policy, making it convenient for managing insurance needs for many vehicles.
- Public Liability Insurance: Public liability insurance covers the taxi driver’s legal liability for any injury or damage caused to passengers or members of the public. It protects in case of personal injury claims or property damage claims arising from accidents or incidents involving the taxi.
- Breakdown Cover: Breakdown cover is an additional type of insurance that can be added to taxi insurance policies. It provides assistance and recovery services if the taxi breaks down while on the road.
It’s important to note that these are general categories, and the specific coverage options, terms, and conditions may vary between insurance providers. When choosing taxi insurance, it is essential to carefully review the policy details and consult with insurance professionals to ensure you have the appropriate coverage for your specific needs.
Why is taxi insurance so expensive?
Taxi insurance tends to be more expensive compared to regular car insurance for several reasons:
- Increased Risk: Taxis are typically on the road for longer durations and cover more mileage than private vehicles. This increased exposure to traffic and potential accidents increases the risk for insurers, resulting in higher premiums.
- Commercial Use: Taxis are used for commercial purposes, transporting passengers for hire. This commercial use of the vehicle introduces additional risks, such as dealing with various passengers, driving in congested areas, and operating during late hours. Insurers consider these factors when determining premiums.
- Public Liability: Taxis are responsible for the safety of their passengers, which means they require additional coverage for public liability. This coverage protects against potential injury or damage claims by passengers or members of the public. Including public liability coverage adds to the overall cost of taxi insurance.
- Vehicle Maintenance: Taxis typically wear and tear more than private vehicles. They often operate for long hours, increasing maintenance costs and a higher likelihood of mechanical breakdowns. Insurers take these factors into account when calculating premiums.
- Specific Requirements: Certain types of taxis, such as black cabs in London, have unique design requirements and features. Repairing or replacing these specialised components can be more expensive, contributing to higher insurance costs.
- Personal Injury Compensation: In the event of an accident, taxis are more likely to carry multiple passengers. This increases the potential for personal injury claims and compensation. Insurers factor in the potential costs of such claims when determining premiums.
- Location: Insurance premiums can vary based on the location where the taxi operates. Areas with higher traffic congestion, accident, or crime rates can incur higher insurance costs.
It is essential to shop around and compare quotes from different insurance providers to find the best coverage and pricing for your taxi insurance needs. Maintaining a clean driving record, improving security measures, and considering advanced driving courses can also help lower insurance costs.
Who is eligible to get taxi insurance cover?
You can get taxi insurance cover if you meet the following criteria:
- Are aged between 21-75
- Hold a public hire taxi badge, or
- Hold a private hire taxi badge
- Drive an Uber-plated vehicle
- Have only recently got your taxi badge
- Have claims or motoring convictions
- Discounts for taxi drivers with taxi NCB
- Private no-claims bonus used if no taxi NCB
- The policy is required within 30 days – the quote can only be valid for 30 days
Who is eligible to get taxi insurance cover?
List of the most populated cities which have the most taxis:
- London Taxi Insurance
- Birmingham Taxi Insurance
- Manchester Taxi Insurance
- Glasgow Taxi Insurance
- Leeds Taxi Insurance
- Liverpool Taxi Insurance
- Newcastle Taxi Insurance
- Sheffield Taxi Insurance
- Bristol Taxi Insurance
- Edinburgh Taxi Insurance
- Cardiff Taxi Insurance
- Belfast Taxi Insurance
- Nottingham Taxi Insurance
- Southampton Taxi Insurance
- Leicester Taxi Insurance
- Oxford Taxi Insurance
- Cambridge Taxi Insurance
- Brighton and Hove Taxi Insurance
- York Taxi Insurance
- Plymouth Taxi Insurance
Can you deliver food with taxi insurance?
Simple “Social Domestic & Pleasure” or strict “taxi and private hire insurance” policies will not provide cover for delivering Big Macs for UberEats or ferrying Amazon grocery bags around. A courier policy is needed. It’s an important point to make because the cover required is significantly more expensive.
How much does taxi insurance cost UK?
One thing our panel strive towards is making Taxi Insurance affordable. However, the cost of Private Hire or Public Hire insurance costs in the UK depends on the driver’s history and experience. As a private hire driver, you can expect to pay anything from as little as about £800 all the way up to several thousand pounds for insurance, depending on your individual circumstances.
What Is Taxi Insurance And What Does It Cover?
As a taxi driver, if your vehicle is off the road following an accident then this costs you money. The longer you’re not working, the longer you’re not earning. As such it is vital that you have the right cover in place to protect you and your vehicle, to ensure you’re back up and running as quickly as possible. Whether you’re a private hire driver or public hire driver, drive a black cab or a minibus, it doesn’t matter, you still need taxi insurance. You can cover the vehicle, the driver, any passengers and members of the public and their property too – just in case you run into some trouble!
What’s the difference between Public Hire Taxi Insurance and Private Hire Taxi Insurance?
The main difference between Public Hire Taxi Insurance and Private Hire Taxi Insurance is that public hire taxis don’t need to be booked in advance, and are licensed to pick up passengers on the street, however, private hire taxis must be pre-booked, and can’t be hailed by passengers on the street.
Why does Taxi Insurance cost more than Car Insurance?
Taxi Insurance tends to cost more than Car Insurance because of the statistically higher risk of having an accident, due to the fact that taxi drivers cover more miles than most motorists. Along with driving more miles, taxi drivers are also likely to have larger vehicles that sit within a higher insurance group.
What does Taxi Insurance cover that Car Insurance doesn’t?
If you work as a taxi driver, a regular Car Insurance policy will not adequately protect you, your vehicle, and your passengers. If you use your car for hire, you must have a suitable Taxi Insurance policy in place.
Do taxi drivers need Public Liability Insurance?
Public Liability Insurance, or Taxi Liability Insurance, protects you and your business against any claims of injury or damage to property by someone in your care. Having this cover can prove invaluable when you consider the risks you’re exposed to as a taxi driver.
Is there an excess on my Taxi Insurance?
Depending on the type of policy that you would like, most of our customers go for comprehensive cover. So on this, you will have a compulsory excess of £250 to £350. However, you can reduce your premium by putting a voluntary excess on. So you could have a whole policy excess of £600 rather than just £350 and this will bring your premium down. Some other people tend to go with a third party, fire and theft to keep their premiums low and you will usually get a compulsory excess of £350.
What about discounts for new taxi drivers?
Yes, introductory discounts are available for new drivers if you are a new badge holder and hold a private car bonus; if it’s being used at the moment or not. If you have had a badge for many years and you have been a named driver on a taxi fleet company, we will be able to offer you a discount on that as well.
How many drivers can I have on my policy?
The majority of policies are either insured only or named drivers but you can have any driver policy if you wish but your insurance premium will increase when you add drivers onto the policy. Your quote will depend on the number of drivers, their age and also their no claims history.
Can I use my taxi no claims bonus?
Yes, you can use your taxi insurance no claims bonus to earn a discount on your taxi policy
Our partners can provide discounts for experienced Taxi Drivers – this includes holding a taxi badge for over 12 months or any no claims bonus you have from previous policies.
What cover can I get for my quote?
UK Taxi insurance follows the traditional options:
- Third-Party Fire and Theft
- Third-Party Only
Will taxi fleet insurance be the best option if I have more than one taxi?
Taxi Fleet insurance is a specialist area and we have a specialist taxi fleet insurance team who deal with fleet insurance every day
Get a Taxi Insurance Quote Today
✔ Completely free ✔ Takes less than 3 minutes