COMPARE PRIVATE HIRE INSURANCE QUOTES
Guide to Uber Insurance Cover
Are you considering becoming an Uber driver? Or are you looking for Uber insurance? Then you’ve come to the right place. We’ve put together this guide to Uber insurance to help you find the best insurance solution for your Uber business.
What is Uber Insurance?
You’re probably already familiar with Uber, but we’ll quickly cover the basics. Uber is a ride-hailing service that offers rides via its mobile app. Through the app, a customer can request a trip. Their request is sent automatically to an Uber driver near them. The driver will be alerted of request, and if they accept, the driver then goes to pick up the rider and take them to their requested destination.
The app calculates the route, the distance and fare and transfers payment from the rider to the driver. No cash is exchanged; riders can use a debit or credit card to pay for the trip. It’s all very convenient and fast! Everything is handled directly within the app.
The company started out in the US in 2009 but has since spread to other parts of the world, including the UK.
Where Does Uber Operate in the UK?
You’ll find that Uber works across the UK, including in the following areas:
- Ireland: doesn’t allow private cars for transporting passengers; however, some taxis do choose to work with Uber
- Scotland: Edinburgh, Glasgow
- UK: Leeds, Leicester, London, Manchester, Merseyside, Stoke, York and more
Who Can Become an Uber Driver?
If you’d like to become an Uber driver, you must first meet these requirements:
- You must be at least 21 years of age
- Have 3 years (at the least) of driving experience
- Have a valid UK driver’s license: if you have an EU or foreign driver’s license, this must be first converted to a UK driver’s license before applying to become an Uber driver.
- Have an approved tablet or smartphone:
- iPhones & iPads: must run iOS 9.3 or higher
- Android devices: must have a single sim and run Android 6.0 or higher, with a minimum of 2 GB of RAM, and have an 8-core processor and a screen size of at least 4.7”
- Have an approved car
- Have Private Hire Driver’s License (PCO license)
- Have private hire insurance (known by drivers as uber insurance*) coverage
There are also specifications your vehicle must meet, including the following:
- Must be at least a 2008 model or newer
- Must be in good condition, without cosmetic damage
- In London and some other locations: cannot have branding or ads of any kind on the vehicle
- The car must hold the minimum number of passengers require on the type of Uber service you’ve chosen to provide:
- Uber X: must hold a minimum of 4 passengers
- UberEXEC: must hold a minimum of 4 passengers
- UberBLACK: must hold a minimum of 4 passengers
- UberXL: must hold a minimum of 6 passengers
For a full list of requirements, be sure to check out the details for your locale on Uber’s website.
In addition, you’ll have to go through an onboarding process where Uber ensures you have the right skills and training to work with them.
*Private Hire Insurance is required to drive a Uber vehicle, there is no such product called “Uber Insurance”
Why Do I Need Private Hire Insurance to Become an Uber Driver?
In the UK, Uber drivers are considered private hire drivers; as a result, Uber requires their drivers to have private hire insurance to work with them.
One note—insurance providers do not offer specific types of insurance for Uber drivers. There is no “Uber Insurance” policy available to Uber drivers. However, they do offer private hire insurance, which does provide insurance protection for you and your business.
What is Private Hire Insurance?
Private hire insurance is required for private hire vehicles, or taxis, that provide a pre-booked service for the transport of passengers. In other words, this is the type of insurance for services where the passenger cannot hail their ride from a stand or on the street.
Private hire taxis & Uber drivers can only pick their passengers up when the passenger has called in or used the app to request a ride. Private hire insurance coverage only applies to these types of pre-booked passenger transport vehicles and businesses.
Doesn’t Uber Provide this Coverage?
Uber does provide this coverage for drivers in the US; however, it works a bit different for Uber drivers in the UK. Uber does not provide private hire insurance and your regular car insurance will not cover you as an Uber driver.
It’s up to you to find and buy the right type of insurance to maintain your business.
What Does Private Hire Insurance Cover?
When you begin shopping for private hire insurance, you’ll find there are a wide variety of policies available. Let’s look at the most common types of Uber insurance and what’s covered:
- Third-party only: this type of policy is the most basic type of insurance you’re required to have as a private hire driver. This will cover injuries to passengers and damage to their belongings, or if you happen to accidentally hit a person with your car while working. However, it will not cover you, your car, or your income.
- Third-party, fire & theft: covers everything the same as third party only policies; however, this will also protect your car against theft and fire.
- Comprehensive: as the name implies, comprehensive coverage provides protection for all the above, plus you, your vehicle and your business (income).
Optional coverage may include:
- Motor legal insurance provides you with personal injury cover, which includes the potential recovery of uninsured losses and the replacement of your vehicle. Some policies will even cover the damage and/or replacement if you’re the one at fault.
- Taxi breakdown insurance: if your vehicle has a problem and breaks down, this coverage helps to get your car back up and running.
- Excess protection: covers you for excess amounts if you’re hit by an uninsured driver, or if you’re the one at fault.
It’s also important to know that there are uber insurance providers who work closely with Uber to provide the right coverage for Uber drivers. These companies have products that may be a better fit for Uber drivers.
When it comes to shopping for private hire insurance, using a comparison tool to find the best premiums can be helpful. Don’t forget to read through the entire policy and ask questions if you need clarification on certain points. Private hire insurance is a large investment, and you want to find the best policy to cover your Uber business.
Do you own a taxi fleet or taxi company? Then why not get a taxi fleet insurance quote: Taxi Fleet Insurance Quote
National Taxi Association – Since 1960, this body has been helping to consult on all forms of taxi legislation in England and Wales.
National Private Hire Association – The NPHA is an organisation that provides useful support and help for cabbies everywhere.
Licensed Taxi Drivers’ Association – A membership group for taxi drivers, the LTDA is also a support group for those that work in the trade.
Get Uber Insurance Quote
From The Blog
Snowdonia Hydropower Project Seeking Investors A Welsh farming family is searching for investors for a Snowdonia hydropower project. Located within the Snowdonia National Park, the project is a high head run of river scheme, which has a potential installed capacity of...
Tesla Electric Semi Truck - Speed Machine That Saves Money The Tesla semi-truck has many people excited. The reason - this new semi can go faster than most cars and other semis in its category. When the driver hits the pedal, the semi is off. When the vehicle’s not...
Unilever Boss Says Workers Will Not Return to Desks Full-Time Unilever, one of the largest companies in the UK, has said their office workers will not return to working at their desks 5 days a week. The change has been brought about by the coronavirus pandemic, which...
Amazon Buys Planes to Expand Network Amazon.com Inc has bought 11 Boeing 767-300 airplanes, with an eye to increasing its delivery capabilities and expanding its network. The aircraft was bought from WestJet and Delta and are being converted from passenger planes to...