We have four pages of gas & electricity FAQs, so if you have a question on a specific topic please choose from the options below
- Tariffs, payment, entering your details and moving home
- Contracts, energy safety and changing your supplier
- Energy regulation, services for the less able, energy efficiency and meters
- Your supply number and dual fuel options
Your supply number and dual fuel options
The rules governing the supply of each fuel require the supplier to offer help to customers who run into difficulty paying their bills. This can range from offering different payment schedules through to installing a prepayment meter. Furthermore, if you are in debt to your supplier, you may be prevented from switching to another supplier on either fuel.
Dual fuel deals are not necessarily the best deals on the market if you are only interested in the lowest price. Use this service to compare the results from dual fuel searches with those for individual fuels to see what suits your circumstances best.
Typically you cannot, as the price that is quoted to you depends on the payment method you have chosen.
That very much depends on the supplier. Most will still bill you separately for each fuel, but some will provide a single bill or statement for both fuels. Where suppliers offer a single bill, this information is shown on the relevant tariff page.
Yes, provided that you give your dual fuel supplier the required amount of notice (usually 28 days). You should also bear in mind that you may lose existing discounts if you change your supply arrangements with your current supplier. Other terms and conditions of supply may also change.
In that case, do not worry about applying for a dual fuel contract. Check out this service’s range of electricity offers instead.
There are two main benefits; price and convenience.
- Companies offering dual fuel packages will sometimes offer you an additional discount if you buy both gas and electricity from them. This can vary from being a fixed reduction in the overall bill to a special rate for one or other of the fuels you take.
- The benefit of convenience associated with dual fuel is that you only need to deal with one company should there be a bill query, complaint or when moving home. Certain suppliers will also offer the convenience of a single bill.
Any supplier with both a gas supply, and an electricity supply licence can offer dual fuel packages. Click the dual fuel button on this service’s home page to find the supplier and deal best suited for you.
A Dual Fuel offer is one where a single company supplies you with both gas and electricity.
The standard format for an electricity supply number is:
The top line of the supply number contains information about whether you are a domestic or business consumer, and which tariff you are on. It will therefore change as you change your supply details.
The bottom line of the supply number contains information about the local electricity distribution company responsible for maintaining the cables and wires carrying electricity into your home, plus a unique reference number to identify the meter in your property. The bottom line of information will not change when you switch supplier.
The supply number appears on your bill. In almost all cases each household will have only one supply number per meter.
A supply number, also referred to as “S” number, is a unique reference which identifies the electricity meter at your property. The Supply number contains information (i.e. meter type) required by your new supplier.